Health Benefits of Kasni
- It stimulate and protects liver.
- It is increase flow of bile.
- It cleanses kidney-bladder and removes toxins from body.
- The roots reduce inflammation, remove the obstruction in form of thick or sticky secretion or any other form.
- It stimulates urine production.
- It contains up to 40% inulin, and has a negligible impact on blood sugar and thus is suitable for diabetes.
- It is cooling in action and reduces heat and high temperature.
- It is gentle laxative and gives relief in constipation.
- It has arteriosclerosis, strengthen the joints , antispasmodic, digestive and depurative properties.
- The seeds increase activity of kidney either by irritation or by increase filtration. Seeds are Deobstruent.
- The leaf juice gives relief in fever, detoxifies blood.
Use of Chicory/ Kasni
As a coffee substitute- Commercially the roots of plant are used to produce coffee substitute. It is also used extensively in coffee blends.
Extraction of Inulin- The roots are used to extract inulin. Inulin belongs to a category of carbohydrates known as fructans and composed of a series of oligo- and polysaccharides of fructose. It is starch but has less caloric value. It is source of dietary fiber.
Some of the benefits of inulin include modulation of microbial fermentation, reducing fat and cholesterol absorption, lowering LDL and increasing HDL. It is a prebiotic.
Inulin is indigestible in the gastrointestinal tract and but fermented by the colonic microflora. Thus it increase fecal biomass and water content of the stools. It improves bowel habits and gives relief in constipation.
As vegetable– The leaves of Chicory plant is used fresh or cooked.
The leaves of young plants are used as pot-herbs and cooked like spinach. Leaves of older plants, when blanched, were used like celery. It is eaten as a green for salads.
Medicinal Uses- The plant is used medicinally to treat variety of ailments for centuries around the world.
Liver tonic, Diseases of liver
- Whole Kasni herb has liver protecting properties. It protects liver from damage.
- The decoction of roots is used in jaundice, enlargement of liver, Kidney disorders. It improves appetite.
- The tea prepared from the leaves, stems, and roots are used in treatment of liver disorders such as jaundice due to its hepatoprotective properties.
- In jaundice, the fine powder of equal parts of Kasni seeds, Mulethi (Liquorice) and Kala Namak (Black salt) are mixed and this powder is given in dose of then take 3g with water twice daily.
- Another remedy for jaundice, is to crush the fresh plant of Makoi and Kasni to extract the juice. This juice is heated and during the boiling stage, 1 gram Naushadar (Ammonium chloride) is added for removing the foams. It is filtered. After filtration about 60ml this preparation juice taken before meal.
The decoction of seeds is used to induce period.
The tea prepared from the roots gives relief in bloating, abdominal fullness, flatulence, and slow digestion.
Pain in body, joints, constipation
As a home remedy, a tea like preparation of the Chicory leaves and flower is prepared. For this purpose, 1/4 cup of leaves and flowers are soaked in one cup boiling water and brewed for 5-10 minutes.
This simple tea shows beneficial effects in pain in body-joint, gout, rheumatism, and constipation. This preparation can also be given to children to treat constipation in dose of half cup.
Joint pain, Insect bite
The paste of leaves is applied externally for painful joints and on insect bites.
The roots boiled and mixed with sirka/ vinegar used as gargle helps in tooth sensitivity.
Medicinal Properties of Chicory
- Antimicrobial- active against microbes.
- Anthelmintic- expel parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Analgesic- acting to relieve pain.
- Antimalarial- effective against malaria.
- Antidiabetic- control blood sugar levels.
- Antiulcer- tending to prevent or heal ulcers.
- Anti-inflammatory- reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Analgesic- pain relief.
- Diuretic- promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
- Demulcent- relieving inflammation or irritation.
- Emmenagogue- stimulate blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus.
- Gastroprotective- protects gastric mucosa.
- Hepatoprotective- prevent damage to the liver.
- Hypoglycemic- blood-sugar lowering.
- Sedative- promoting calm or inducing sleep.
- Prebiotic- promoting the growth of beneficial intestinal microorganisms.