Mucuna is an annual twinning plant.. Leaves are trifoliate, gray-silky beneath; petioles are long and silky, 6.3–11.3 cm. Leaflets are membranous, terminal leaflets are smaller, lateral very unequal sided. Dark purple flowers (6 to 30) occur in drooping racemes. Fruits are curved, 4–6 seeded. The longitudinally ribbed pod, is densely covered with persistent pale-brown or grey trichomes that cause irritating blisters. Seeds are black ovoid and 12 mm long
All parts of Mucuna posses valuable medicinal properties and there is a heavy demand of Mucuna in markets.
Mucuna pruriens have been long used to increase the s3xual llbido in both men and women.
The beans of Mucuna pruriens is being also used on sportspersons to increase their muscle mass. These seeds also help in improving the memory power and help to gain weight which is lost due to excessive exercise.
Main use of the plant are following:
- It contain L-Dopa which is used as anti-Parkinson’s, help increases testosterone
- Aphrodisiac – increases llbido and it is very good for impotency and erectile dysfunction
- It is used to stimulate growth of hormone – anabolic/androgenic
- It help reduces spasms and relieves pain – analgesic/ antispasmodic
- Help lowers blood sugar and blood pressure (hypo tensive)
- It increases urination (uterine stimulant), help reduces fever (febrifuge) and it is a good cough suppressant
- It calms nerves (nervine), reduces nerve pain (neurasthenic)
- It help lowers cholesterol (hypo cholesterolemic)
- it act as a weight loss aid
- It reduces inflammation – anti-inflammatory
Other important Mucuna properties:
- It help prevents or eliminates kidney stones (antilithic)
- It help kills parasites (antiparasitic) and expels worms (vermifuge)
- It expels gas (carminative)
- It is a menstrual stimulant
- It is a central nervous system stimulant