Black cumin seeds (کالی زیری) are also known as Bitter Cumin and Centratherum Anthelminticum. Due to hot, sharp, bitter taste and strong bad odour, it is not used in preparation of food but mainly as medicine. In Ayurveda, they are especially used in treatment of intestinal parasites and diseases of skin. They are also used in treatment of fever, cough and diarrhea.
Black cumin is rich in medicinal properties. The understanding of these properties will help us to better utilize this herb. It has a good anthelmintic property and used for the treatment of various skin infections. It is used traditionally to cure skin diseases, asthma, kidney troubles, cough and to remove blood from liver.
- It has significant anthelmintic action.
- It is used since time immemorial to treat skin diseases.
- It detoxifies blood.
- It reduces blood sugar and blood pressure.
- It has diuretic (increase the rate of urine flow) action.
- It stimulates insulin secretion.
- It may help to weight loss.
- It is astringent to the bowels and helps in diarrhea.
- It cures ulcer.
- It reduces cough due to anti phlegmatic action.
- It has antimalarial action and helps in filaria.
- It is a good source of antioxidants.
Side effects and Precautions:
- Do not use in pregnancy.
- In excess, it is harmful for intestine.
- It can cause cramps in abdomen and vomiting.